- To view a copy of the 2017-2018 Application
- Each musician must be at least 18 years of age, a U.S. citizen, and either hold or be able to obtain a valid U.S. passport. Please note we cannot make any exceptions.
- Applying ensembles must be either trios, quartets or quintets (3-5 people).
- The diversity of traditional American genres we are seeking, includes, but is not limited to Contemporary Urban, Hip Hop, Rock & Roll, Indie Rock, R&B, Jazz, Blues, Broadway Musical Theater and American roots music genres like Country, Gospel, Soul, Bluegrass, Zydeco, Cajun, Afro-Caribbean, Tejano, Southwestern American Conjunto, Native-American and Folk.
- No musical group or individual musician may participate in the American Music Abroad program more than 3 times in the last 5 years, including prior iterations such as The Rhythm Road.
- No more than two of the final 10 ensembles chosen may be alumni of the American Music Abroad program.
- Bands combining or crossing-over genres will be considered.
- Successful applicant ensembles are required to demonstrate artistic integrity, musical ability and knowledge of the role their genre has played in American history and culture. In addition, bands must demonstrate knowledge of innovative Music Business strategies and a strong commitment to community and education programming.
- Applicants must be amenable to rigorous traveling and performance conditions, as touring regions and itineraries may be challenging.
- In addition to concerts and media appearances, the 10 selected ensembles will present educational activities that include, but are not limited to: workshops, classes and community outreach activities.
- High artistic standards.
- Demonstrated communication skills and the ability to communicate with diverse groups of vastly different age ranges, educational backgrounds, language abilities and levels of exposure to American culture and music.
- Creative presentation of genre and education materials.
- Demonstrated commitment to educational and community activities.
- Knowledge of and experience in Music Business.
- Experience and/or potential to thrive as cultural diplomats.
- Ability to perform consistently and effectively in difficult touring schedules, climates and travel conditions.
- Ability to obtain passport, visa, immunization and complete other preparations.