- Each musician must be at least 18 years of age, a U.S. citizen, and either hold or be able to obtain a valid U.S. passport.
- Applying ensembles must be either trios, quartets or quintets (3-5 people).
- The diversity of traditional American genres we are seeking, includes, but is not limited to Contemporary Urban , Hip Hop, Rock & Roll, Punk, Heavy Metal, Indie Rock, R&B, Jazz, Blues, Country, Broadway Musical Theater and American roots music genres like Country, Gospel, Soul, Bluegrass, Zydeco, Cajun, Afro-Caribbean, Tejano, Southwestern American Conjunto, Native-American and Folk.
- Each musician may perform with only one band.
- No musical group or individual musician may participate in the American Music Abroad program more than 3 times in the last 5 years, including prior iterations such as The Rhythm Road: American Music Abroad.
- No more than 2 of the final ensembles chosen may be alumni of the American Music Abroad program.
- Bands combining or crossing-over genres will be considered.
- Successful applicant ensembles are required to demonstrate artistic integrity, musical ability, knowledge of American culture and music and a strong commitment to community and education programming.
- Applicants must be amenable to rigorous traveling and performance conditions, as touring regions and itineraries may be challenging.
- In addition to concerts and media appearances, selected groups will present educational activities that include, but are not limited to: workshops, classes and community outreach activities.
- Highest artistic standards
- Demonstrated communication skills: ability to communicate with diverse groups with vastly different age ranges, educational backgrounds, language abilities and levels of exposure to American culture and music
- Creative presentation of genre and education materials
- Demonstrated commitment to educational and community activities
- Experience and/or potential to thrive as cultural diplomats
- Ability to perform consistently and effectively in difficult touring schedules, climates and travel conditions
- Potential for successful completion of passport, visa, immunization and other preparations
Permanent link to this article: http://amvoices.org/ama/?page_id=23